A West Michigan student has been expelled after officials say she brought a marijuana cookie belonging to her mother to school.
The Muskegon Chronicle reports police investigated after officials at Orchard View Middle School found the cookie in December. Orchard View Schools' Superintendent Pat Walstra says the student's mother had permission to use medical marijuana.
Walstra says the student later was expelled from the Muskegon-area school and "possession of an illegal substance is not permitted on or near school."
Michigan voters in 2008 approved the use of marijuana for medical reasons.
Read other News headlines from across Michigan:
- Ad blasts Snyder's plan to hike car registration, gas tax
- Hacker warns of zombies on 2 Mich. TV broadcasts
- Bedbugs in book bindings closes Michigan library
- Port Huron teen meets Bruno Mars on 'Ellen'
- Groups sue to end Midwest wolf hunt
- Appeal filed in case against ex-McCotter aides
- Help Gleaners fight child hunger in metro Detroit
- Rape charges dropped against Michigan firefighter