ROMEO, Mich. - The man charged with causing 2-year-old Damian Sutton's death will undergo a competency evaluation.
Ronald Dimambro, 26, is charged with murder and child abuse charges.
At a hearing Thursday, the judge signed the order for the evaluation and set the next pre-exam conference for Oct. 21.
He is accused of beating and shaking young Damian to death last month. Damian died Aug. 27 at Children's Hospital after spending several days in a medically-induced coma.
Dimambro, the boyfriend of the boy's mother, was caring for the toddler at the time he was injured.
Macomb County Sheriff Tony Wickersham says the 26-year-old man called 911 to report Sutton was having an asthma attack. Wickersham said Dimambro later admitted he had shaken the child.
LISTEN: Washington Township 911 call
Dimambro has a criminal history that includes domestic violence and impaired driving.
"It's clearly one of the saddest things I've ever seen," said Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith.
- Damian Sutton's family thanks community for support
- Man accused of beating 2-year-old boy faces murder charge
- Mom's boyfriend accused of beating 2-year-old boy
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.