DETROIT - Consumers Energy said Monday it had turned over to the state a report summarizing findings related to the gas explosion in February of a home in Royal Oak.
This report is now in the hands of the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC).
The report walks through the actions Consumers Energy workers did the evening of Feb. 27, when an explosion ripped apart a home on Cooper Avenue, killing 58-year-old Dan Malczynski.
The company has blamed a ruptured service line for the incident.
According to the report, Consumers workers immediately shut off gas to neighboring homes and businesses, evacuated residents, took photos of the damage and performed additional gas leak surveys and tests.
They also conducted in-home inspections and paid for lodging and other expenses for residents who could not immediately return to their homes. Consumers said it still continues to test leak surveys in the area on a weekly basis and is taking many steps, including TV ads about gas safety as well as safety programs in local schools.
The company says it's also strengthening communications about gas safety among employees.
Also included in the report is a summary of the Feb. 28 suspension of statewide boring operations by the company.
Hank Winchester will have reaction from people who lived nearby Monday on Local 4 News at 6.
Previous Royal Oak home explosion stories:
- Royal Oak explosion changes Consumers Energy policies
- Attorney wants answers in Royal Oak home explosion
- Consumers Energy works to calm fears about natural gas
- Neighbors mourn man killed in explosion; gas leak is cause
- Royal Oak neighborhood healing after deadly blast
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.