LIBERTY TOWNSHIP, Mich. - State police say the 4-year-old son of a Jackson County sheriff's deputy accidentally shot himself to death at the family home.
The shooting happened Saturday in Liberty Township, about 10 miles south of Jackson.
State police 1st Lt. Michael Krumm says the boy didn't use his father's service weapon and calls it "an accidental shooting and a tragedy."
MLive.com identifies the dead boy as Michael Easter, son of Deputy Mark Easter.
Sheriff Steve Rand says the deputy was heading to work when his wife called from home and told him what happened.
- UM issues crime alert over student sex assaults
- Wisconsin man accused of firing at cars in Pittsfield Twp
- Thief forces Burger King window open, steals donations
- Ann Arbor police warn students of illegal taxicabs
- Michigan fraternity suspended over semi-nude photos
- No. 4 Michigan pulls away to beat Penn State 79-71
- Scholarship honors EMU student's life
- Ann Arbor cabbie charged after allegedly kissing passenger
- A surprise gift could be a credit card scam
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.