Detroit Public Schools will showcase diversity Friday with the second annual 'Taste of DPS Multicultural Expo."
Attendees will learn about the various cultures of DPS including Latino/Latina, Bangladeshi, Hmong, African, African-American and Middle Eastern.
During the expo, guests will experience international cultures, receive gifts and have an opportunity to eat lunch at each school.
Menu offerings include: "Hopping John" black-eyed peas, representing the African-American culture; Red Beans, representing Latino culture; Spicy Red Beans, representing the East Indian culture; and Fasolia, a kidney bean dish from the Middle Eastern cultures. All food samples are vegetarian dishes and will be served with rice.
The event is from 10am - 1pm.
The ethnicities that will be represented at each school site include:
· Roberto Clemente Academy, 1551 Beard, the Latino/Latina culture will be explored with food, artwork, gifts and more.
· Detroit International Academy, 9026 Woodward, students and parents will experience Bangladeshi and Hmong cultures.
· Marcus Garvey Academy, 2301 Van Dyke, attendees can enjoy the sights and sounds of African and African-American cultures.
· Priest Elementary-Middle School, 7840 Wagner, students and parents will learn about Middle Eastern cultures.
Other attractions during the Taste of DPS Multicultural Day:
· Gleaners Food Bank will provide a free food distribution at Priest at 10:30 a.m. and Marcus Garvey Academy at 11:30 a.m.
· Tender Care Mobile Dentist will provide free basic dental care at Roberto Clemente Academy throughout the day from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
· A mini workshop will be held at Detroit International Academy titled, "Gardens to Go." Participants will receive free fruit and vegetable seeds.
· Free immunizations will be offered at Marcus Garvey from 10:00 a.m. - Noon, sponsored by St. John Providence Community Health.
On Saturday, DPS will showcase the district with Open Doors Day. Nearly all DPS schools will be open from 10am-2pm. Parents and students will have an opportunity to tour buildings, meet staff and sample lunch.
Open Doors Day includes free immunizations and giveaways.