ROYAL OAK, Mich. - A new Detroit Zoo mobile application makes getting a daily dose of Vitamin Z easier than ever.
The Zoo's new and improved smartphone app helps guests plan their visit, find their way, learn more about their favorite animals and even go on a wildlife scavenger hunt.
The app is available for both the iPhone and Android.
"The new app allows users to plan their visit as well as enrich their experience once they arrive," said Detroit Zoological Society CEO and Executive Director Ron Kagan. "One exciting feature allows kids to become ‘secret agents', using their imagination and special clues to discover the Detroit Zoo in a whole new way."
Kids can explore the Zoo via an interactive scavenger hunt with the Detroit Zoo's mascots, Junior Z and the Zooper Heroes. By checking in at various locations throughout the Zoo and answering questions about the animals, youngsters can complete "Z-missions" and become Zooper Heroes as well.
Other key features of the redesigned Detroit Zoo app include:
• A demo with instructions on using the app
• A map featuring clickable locations, filtering and details about each location
• Information about upcoming Zoo events
• Reminders that can be set in the phone's calendar through the app
• A searchable database of every animal, habitat, attraction and facility
• A "Z-tector" QR code scanner for exclusive content, including video of zookeepers talking about the animals
The new app retains some of the core features of the former app, including Detroit Zoo hours, pricing information, the ability to purchase tickets and memberships and a GPS-enabled map with a "Near Me" function to help find habitats, attractions, restrooms, concessions and gift shops.
The new app was designed for the Detroit Zoo by Detroit-based Doner. "We wanted to develop an app that was not only practical, but that would also completely enhance the visitor experience," said Doner Co-CEO and Chief Creative Officer Rob Strasberg. "The unique functions of this new and improved mobile app provide Zoo guests of all ages with another fun and engaging way to get their dose of Vitamin Z."
The Detroit Zoo app is available for download at the iTunes App Store and Android Market (search for "Detroit Zoo") for $1.99. Proceeds from the sale of the app benefit conservation.
- Detroit Zoo staff to help out Peruvian students
- Detroit Zoo offers day of free admission to senior citizens
- Zoo workers go ape over baby gorilla
- Meloni: Detroit Zoo and cautionary tale
- It's 'Hamer' time at the Detroit Zoo
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.