Developers of a $140 million streetcar line planned for a 3.3-mile course through the heart of Detroit have selected a construction manager.
In a statement Wednesday, it was announced that Alameda, Calif.-based Stacy and Witbeck Inc. had been picked by M-1 Rail to serve as construction manager and general contractor. The company, which has built a number of streetcar projects, was one of five bidders.
Detroit-based White Construction will serve as a key local contractor on the M-1 Rail streetcar project.
The company has also played an important role in other major downtown Detroit construction projects, including: Comerica Park, Ford Field, Campus Martius Park, the Detroit RiverWalk, Detroit Port Authority and the City of Detroit’s Public Safety Headquarters.
Groundbreaking on the project could take place in the fall. The streetcar line is scheduled to start running in late 2015.
Officials have said they don't believe that Detroit's bankruptcy case will affect the privately managed streetcar line.
Stacy and Witbeck first pre-construction projects will include:
- Assist with the development of the Maintenance of Traffic strategy
- Review design plans and provide input
- Work with M-1 RAIL designer URS Corporation and owner’s representative HNTB Michigan, Inc. to identify cost efficiencies and value engineering measures to ensure that final construction costs remain within budget
- Order the necessary materials
- Hire sub-contractors and local workforce personnel
Hiring Local Sub-Contractors
Stacy and Witbeck will host a sub-contractor meeting in the near future for local firms interested in bidding on additional work for the streetcar project. Details will be made available at a later date. Inquiries about sub-contracting opportunities should be sent directly to Stacy and Witbeck CM/ GC Project Manager Tom Gilman at email@example.com.