Neighbors tried to save the elderly man but the flames were just too much at the home at Grandview Street and Norfolk Road on the city's northwest side.
Local 4 is told the fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly.
Several people tried to get the man out but the flames and smoke overwhelmed them. Firefighters arrived to contain the fire.
"The smoke, it just engulfed the whole place so fast, there was nothing we could do. It was just a very tough situation," said Steven K., a neighbor who tried to help.
The man lived at the home for more than 20 years. Neighbors say he was a retired United State Postal Service worker, and a really nice guy.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.