DETROIT - Evidence in the government's case against a Christian militia group that allegedly planned an elaborate attack to kill scores of police has been released to the media.
"Now is the time to strike and take our nation back so that we may be free again from Tyranny," said Hutaree's leader David Stone Sr. in an audio recording released Monday.
Stone made the speech while driving in a van with other members to a planned meeting with other militias in Kentucky this past February.
The group never made it to the meeting because of bad weather, but Stone made the speech anyway.
"You kill enough cops? you can?t get enough people to take the job,? he said.
An undercover agent who infiltrated the group recorded Stone's speech.
Transcript: Of Hutaree RecordingWatch:Raw:
Andrew Arena, the head of the FBI in Detroit, has said his office felt compelled to arrest the nine suspects before the April training session because of the potential for violence.
In another recording, Stone goes beyond threatening police officers, saying: ?Wives of law enforcement and their children were equal target, no better than police.?
Stone, his two sons, wife and eight other suspected Hutaree members were arrested after a series of raids across the Midwest late last month.
They were charged with seditious conspiracy, or plotting to levy war against the U.S.
Prosecutors argue the group planned to make a false 911 call, kill responding police officers, and set off a bomb at the funeral to kill more police and civilians.
The self-proclaimed "Christian warriors" trained in paramilitary techniques in preparation for a battle against the Antichrist.
Federal prosecutors said David Stone Sr.'s son, Joshua Stone, was second in charge. "I don't know or care who to target, we all have jobs to do. Welcome to the business of killing," Joshua Stone told group members at a recent training mission.
Prosecutors said his other son, Brian David Stone Jr., was the explosive expert and trained members on how to use and make homemade bombs.
The government released evidence Monday that it said proves they found bomb components and instructions on how to make bombs.
Also, pictures of dozens of seized weapons from recent raids in Adrian, Mich., were released.
Defense attorneys said their clients hadn't committed any crimes and that they are protected by a right to free speech.
Defense attorneys also said the government must back up its allegations with a witness.
"?completely undermines the defendants Sixth Amendment right to cross-examine witnesses who appear at the hearing," said Joshua Stone's attorney Jim Thomas.
A federal magistrate judge in Detroit has ordered eight of the suspects to remain locked up until trial.
A ninth suspect, Thomas Piatek, of Whiting, Ind., was ordered held by a judge in Indiana but recently transported to Michigan.
Piatek appeared in court Thursday and a not-guilty plea was entered.
U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts has set an April 27 hearing to consider appeals of the detention orders, but the date could change because of a scheduling conflict with one of the prosecutors.
Copyright 2003 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.