WESTLAND, Mich. - Michigan State Police are investigating after a fire that resulted in the death of a 29-year-old Wayne-Westland firefighter was determined to be an arson by the Wayne-Westland Fire Department.
MSP's Second District Special Investigations Section is investigating the fire that took place at Marvaso's Restaurant and the Magic Stick Pool Hall on May 8 in Westland.
Westland firefighter Brian Woehlke died this past May when the roof of a burning business collapsed on him.
State police said they are now investigating Woehlke's death as a homicide due to the cause of the fire and his death while fighting it.
Woehlke, who was hired in 2012, was the first firefighter to die in the line of duty in the department's 47-year history.
MSP is asking anyone who may have any information about the fire to contact Michigan State Police Special Investigation Section at 877-616-4677.
Police said anyone leaving tips can remain anonymous.
- Woehlke added to Fallen Heroes Memorial
- Benefit for fallen Westland firefighter held
- Red Wings raise over $15k for family of fallen firefighter
- Documentary features fallen Westland firefighter
- Community mourns death of Wayne-Westland firefighter
- Wayne-Westland firefighter dies in fire at strip mall
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.