DETROIT - Two babies suffered serious burns in a house fire on Detroit's east side. One suffered burns over 30 percent of her body, the other 10 percent. Both were taken to Detroit Children's Hospital. They were two out of five people hurt by the fire which broke out Wednesday night around 11p.m. at a home on Dwyer.
The mother was able to take the babies out of the back of the home to safety. A man driving by saw the fire and was able to rescue an 8-year-old boy and 12-year-old boy. Neighbors said they could hear the boys screaming for help. The children's grandmother broke her leg when jumping from a second story window.
The fire is believed to have started in the front room of the house. Investigators are looking at whether too many items were plugged into an extension cord. The investigation is continuing.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.