A fundraiser is planned for the family of a Detroit-area referee who died after being punched by a recreational soccer player.
The event honoring John Bieniewicz is Saturday at Compuware Arena in Plymouth, where the Plymouth Whalers play the Windsor Spitfires in exhibition hockey.
Ticket sales also benefit an organization that helps families of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
Authorities say Bassel Saad punched Bieniewicz June 29 as Bieniewicz was preparing to red-card Saad. Bieniewicz died two days later.
Saad is awaiting trial on a second-degree murder charge. His lawyer has argued for a lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter.
- 100% of proceeds go to the John Bieniewicz Foundation
- Doors open at 1 p.m.
- Puck drops at 2 p.m.
- $10 advanced tickets/$12 at the door
- Tickets can be bought at the Livonia Police Department, Plymouth Whalers box office or online at PlymouthWhalers.com
- Whalers post-game meet-and-greet
- Compuware Arena, 14900 Beck Road, Plymouth