Macomb County, Mich - For months, I-696 in Macomb County has been a target for construction. The Michigan Department of Transportation has had ongoing lane closures and restrictions on and near Van Dyke Avenue. While the Van Dyke construction does create slow downs on I-696, most drivers can dodge the barrels by taking Gratiot, Mound or Hoover, that is until now.
Everyday this week MDOT has new restrictions scheduled for the freeway that includes lane closures, bridge demolition and a freeway closure!
- At sunrise, crews will close the east half of the Hoover overpass. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained on the west side of the bridge until early October.
- Crews will close the crossover bridge located west of Schoenherr Road until late September
- Crews will close the east half of the Groesbeck Highway overpass. Two lanes northbound and one lane southbound will be maintained on the west half of the bridge until mid-October.
- MDOT will close I-696 between Hoover and Groesbeck to demolish a portion of the Hoover and Groesbeck overpass, along with the crossover bridge west of Schoenherr.
- The freeway will close in both directions 10 p.m. Friday and will reopen 5 a.m. Monday.
Copyright 2003 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.