Intoxicated patient sets bed on fire at University of Michigan Hospital

Imaginary cigarette to blame

Headline Goes Here

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - An intoxicated patient and an imaginary cigarette resulted in two people suffering burns and minor damage to a University of Michigan Hospital bed.
   University public safety spokeswoman Diane Brown says the emergency room patient "was trying to light a non-existent cigarette."
   Brown says the man "thought he had one," but set the bedding on fire at the Ann Arbor facility.
   The patient was burned, as was a nurse who tried to put the fire out about 10:20 p.m. Saturday.
   Hospital staff extinguished the flames before firefighters arrived. The fire was contained to the bed. No evacuations were necessary.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.