Judge rules emails, documents regarding Detroit emergency manager case won't be released
Activist files lawsuit against state in effort to get information about candidates for EM position
A judge has ruled that emails and documents from Gov. Rick Snyder's administration regarding the selection of Detroit's emergency manager won't be released.
Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Maria Oxholm made the decision Tuesday, citing Snyder's executive privilege.
Activist Robert Davis had filed a lawsuit against the state Treasury Department, claiming he's trying to determine the identities of candidates and wants emails and documents that were exchanged during discussions regarding the position.
Davis says the emails and documents allegedly show that the state had already met and discussed the emergency manager position before Kevyn Orr's hiring -- which Davis says is a violation of state's Open Meetings Act.
Oxholm can still decide to release a list of the candidates separately. She is expected to make that decision later Tuesday afternoon.
Previous story: Are emails between Gov. Snyder, Detroit EM Orr illegal?
Previous story: Do emails show Mike Duggan helped advise in search for Detroit emergency manager?
Attorney General Bill Schuette had filed an emergency motion on Snyder's behalf seeking an intervention in the lawsuit to prevent the information from being released.
Previous story: State seeks to block disclosure in Detroit's EM case