DETROIT - The power has been out since Wednesday and for 95 residents at Heritage Place at Magnolia Apartments in northwest Detroit, it is too hot to bear.
Many have moved out with family and friends. They have had to toss out spoiled food from freezers and refrigerators.
People in several blocks around Grand River and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard are without power. DTE Energy has told them it may not be restored until Saturday night.
As temperatures climbed close to 100 degrees on Friday, some of the seniors went to emergency rooms before they had heat-related issues.
The apartment building is only 6 years old. The manager said they are trying to get a generator and dry ice, but with high demand, they have only been able to get a small generator to power lights in the hallways for safety.
Courtney Montgomery has a mechanical heart which is powered by a battery. Her sister is charging them at her house and rotating them at the apartments. If the batteries run out, "I'll die," Montgomery said.
Lee Grant is moving his older brother out of the apartment and in with him. He tossed out the food from his fridge.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.