MACOMB COUNTY, Mich. -

The man accused of beating a 2-year-old Washington Township boy now faces a first degree felony murder charge.

Ronald Dimambro originally was charged with first-degree child abuse but Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith has increased the charge to murder since young Damian Sutton's death earlier this week.

Read back: 2-year-old Damian Sutton has died

Smith was waiting for the results of an autopsy which has revealed Damian died due to blunt force trauma. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Damian died Tuesday morning at Children's Hospital after spending several days in a medically-induced coma. Dimambro, the boyfriend of the boy's mother, was caring for the toddler at the time he was injured.

Macomb County Sheriff Tony Wickersham says the 26-year-old man called 911 to report Sutton was having an asthma attack. Wickersham said Dimambro later admitted he had shaken the child.

LISTEN: Washington Township 911 call

Dimambro has a criminal history that includes domestic violence and impaired driving.

He is being held at the Macomb County Jail without bond, which has been revoked, and will be arraigned on the murder charge Sept. 10 before 42-1 District Court Judge Denis LeDuc.

More: Fundraisers to help family of beaten 2-year-old boy

Damian's funeral is Friday in Clawson

A funeral for Damian will be held Friday in Clawson. A public viewing will be between 3 and 8 p.m. Friday at Lynch and Sons Funeral Home, 1368 North Crooks Road, Clawson, MI.

The funeral is Friday morning, but it is not open to the public.


-- Damian Sutton died Tuesday morning at Children's Hospital.