MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. - A jury has found a 27-year-old man guilty of first degree murder and first degree child abuse in the death of a 2-year-old Macomb County boy.
Ronald Dimambro was charged with attacking Damian Sutton in August 2013 while baby-sitting him at a Washington Township home. Prosecutors said Dimambro shook the baby so violently that the toddler died six days later at Children's Hospital.
Medical experts testified that it was no accident and Damian's injuries were intentionally inflicted. The prosecution also said Dimambro, the boyfriend of Damian's mother, changed his story a number of times while being questioned by police, including how long he shook the boy to get him to stop crying.
The murder count carries a sentence of mandatory life imprisonment without parole. The child abuse count is punishable by a sentence up to and including life imprisonment. His sentencing will be July 17.
The trial moved quickly after starting last week. Jury deliberations began Tuesday afternoon and a verdict was reached just before 5 p.m.
Read back: Mother's testimony
-- Damian Sutton
Copyright 2014 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.