The Meijer State Games of Michigan is planning to hold its inaugural 2014 Winter Games in the Grand Rapids area.
Officials say the Feb. 14-16 event is expected to attract more than 2,000 athletes.
The opening ceremony takes place at Cannonsburg Ski Area, northeast of Grand Rapids, and is expected to include a parade of athletes, a torch light parade featuring the ski patrol, fireworks and an exhibition with professional skiers and snowboarders.
Modeled after the Olympics, the Meijer State Games aims to draw athletes regardless of age or ability. In 2013, the Summer Games offered 34 sports and attracted more than 6,500 athletes.
Inaugural sports lineup:
- Basketball: (various venues across Grand Rapids)
- BMX – Indoor: Thrifty Acres Indoor BMX, 1220 N Lafayette, Greenville, MI 48838
- Bowling: Northfield Lanes, 2222 Plainfield Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
- Fatbike (Mt. Bike)
- Ice Hockey
- Rowing – Indoor
- Speed Skating: MSA’s 2014 Michigan Short Track State Championships
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Snowball Softball: Huff Park, 2286 Ball Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
- Snowshoe / Trail Run