ALLEN PARK, Mich. -
Some residents believe the failed film operation is creating a real-life hazard for residents.
"There's mold. There are wires hanging down," said Allen Park resident Bob Armstead, who called the place a fire hazard.
Armstead obtained the building's fire inspection documents through the Freedom of Information Act and said it shows several violations, such as fire extinguishers expired since 2005.
According to Armstead, the building layout is also a hazard because of its dead-end corridors.
"This line shows where people could get trapped," said Armstead, pointing to a diagram of the building. "If there's smoke or fire in there, they wouldn't be able to get out."
Allen Park Community Development Director David Boomer disputes Armstead's claims.
"To say the building is unsafe is a false statement," said Boomer. "The occupied spaces where we have the tenants or common areas like hallways and things of that nature. They all do have emergency lighting, egress lighting, and fire extinguishers that are in compliance."
Armstead said even with the partial occupancy, "(the building) is the city's financial Achilles heal."
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.