HARPER WOODS - A 60-year-old old man was shot dead in his Harper Woods home Wednesday night.
"We believe right now it's a home invasion, robbery type situation," said Chief Jim Burke with the Harper Woods Police Department.
Police said Johnny Buckner was found dead by his grandson just before midnight in the 18700 block of Old Homestead. Buckner had lived in the home with his grandson.
They are looking for a 2001 Cadillac Deville -- two tone lower with a dark tan roof -- with the Michigan license plate of 8JWA60.
"It's just so sad. I just don't know what to do," said friend Nathaniel Davis, Jr. "Why would someone want to do something to a great guy like him?"
Friends told Local 4 Buckner never seemed worried about his safety.
"He wouldn't let you in unless he knew you," said Davis.
Friends said Buckner's wife passed away a couple of years ago from an accident on her job, and his spirits were just rising.
Police are not saying much about the murder scene, or if there was forced entry.
Read more Local News headlines:
- No charges for Detroit coach who shot, killed teen
- Detroit, new nonprofit partner to fight blight
- Police: 5 in custody following standoff in Detroit
- Man found shot and killed in his own home
- Detroit apartment tenants without heat, told to move
- Bing delivers upbeat State of City despite uncertain future
- NB I-75 reopens at 7 Mile after semi hits overpass
- Teens shot by worker charged with armed robbery
- Reward offered to catch church thieves
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.