Harper Woods schools lockdown over; 3 men taken into custody after shots fired

Schools were on lockdown while police investigated possible gunman in Harper Woods neighborhood; 3 taken into custody

By Dave Bartkowiak Jr. - Digital Managing Editor

HARPER WOODS, Mich. - Harper Woods schools are no longer on lockdown after police say a man was shooting a gun Thursday in a backyard on Lancaster Street between Beaconsfield Street and Harper Avenue.

Police were at the suspected shooter's home near Lancaster Street and Peerless Avenue. Police were calling it a barricaded gunman situation. No one was being held hostage.

At least three young men were taken into police custody. The suspects were lying handcuffed in the street, surrounded by police and SWAT team members. The men had been inside the home. It's not clear if they were armed.

Several 911 calls were made about a man shooting a gun Thursday afternoon in the neighborhood. The schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution.

According to the principal at Harper Woods Middle School, all Harper Woods schools were on lockdown.

Students at Harper Woods Middle School were kept inside, the principal said. Police called the school about 2:40 p.m. to inform administrators of a "safety concern."

The principal said that call was received during afternoon dismissal so some students had already left. Those who did not leave were brought back into the school and placed on lockdown. The high school is connected to the middle school.

No one was injured and no one was shot at, police say.

Students were leaving the schools Thursday evening.













Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.