Mom, young son injured in Pontiac apartment fire

Firefighters put out kitchen fire at 2-story apartment on Bay Street in Pontiac

Headline Goes Here

PONTIAC, Mich. - Saturday morning the Waterford Regional Fire Department responded to an apartment fire in the 500 block of Bay Street in Pontiac.

The 911 call came in at 8:55 a.m. Crews arrived to find a 2-story apartment building with smoke billowing out of it.

"We got a call about an apartment fire in Pontiac and we had a report of a young child still in the apartment," said Capitan John Lyman of the Waterford Fire Department. "When our crews arrived the young child was out of the apartment and so was his mom."

Firefighters extinguished a small fire in the kitchen of a unit inside the building. The fire damage was confined to only one of the apartment units.

The mother suffered minor burns to her legs and the child was transported to Children's Hospital for smoke inhalation.

"It looks like she was cooking and perhaps fell asleep and some grease started on fire. She woke up to the fire and got her kids out," said Lyman. "She tried to put the fire out and that's how she got burned."

Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.