TAYLOR, Mich. - A Taylor man in court on Tuesday for the death of his 6-week-old daughter seemed to take responsibility, even after entering a not guilty plea.
"I made a mistake. I made a big mistake," Luis Smolen said.
The allegations against 23-year-old Smolen are stomach turning.
Smolen is accused of first degree murder and first degree child abuse in the death of his infant daughter Payton Smolen.
Investigators say they were called to Smolen's apartment in Taylor Saturday morning on a report of an infant that was not breathing.
The 6-week-old girl later died at the hospital, suffering from trauma to her head and from injuries to her tiny body.
Hours later, Smolen was arrested.
In court Tuesday afternoon, Smolen had a lot to say, admitting he made a mistake.
"I love them," Smolen said. "I work day in and day out. It was a great mistake. I must pay for it. I made a mistake."
Police are now describing Smolen as a violent man.
At the time of his daughter's death, Smolen was out on bond for a different assault case, and police say child protective services has previously been called regarding another one of his children.
Smolen asked the judge to let him out on bond so he could continue working at American Coney Island and provide for the rest of his family.
The judge simply said no.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.