TROY, Mich. - Patrick Mikes Jr. has been denied bond in the open murder charge he faces in connection with the death of his father, Patrick Mikes Sr.
The 21-year-old Troy man sat motionless as the charges against him were read in open court on Thursday.
Troy police said they believe 55-year-old Mikes was killed in the basement of his home where investigators found evidence of a struggle. The Oakland County Medical Examiner said it is highly unlikely anyone would live through whatever happened in that basement.
On Wednesday night, Troy police held a news conference during which they said DNA test results on evidence taken from the basement showed both Mikes Jr. and Mikes Sr.'s blood. Police said it is believed Mikes was killed by blunt force trauma.
"The DNA blood analysis evidence puts Mr. Mikes Sr. with his son Patrick's blood kind of together, indicating a struggled ensued between the two of them," said Troy Police Cpt. Robert Redmond.
Search for body continues in Montrose, Mich.
Police continued their search for Mikes' body in the Montrose area Thursday. More than 30 officers and a dozen K9 units will assist in the search. "I'm not going to release all the data on how or why, but we believe we are in the right area," Redmond said.
Patrick Mikes Jr. charged with fraud
Mikes Jr. was in court last week to be arraigned on three counts of illegally using a financial transaction device. He was held in jail on a $50,000 bond. His maternal grandparents posted the bond. He was scheduled to appear in court Aug. 13.
Meanwhile, police have been calling Mikes Jr. a person of interest in his father's missing person and murder investigation case.
"Investigators are attempting to reconstruct a timeline of Patrick Mikes Jr.'s whereabouts from Friday, July 27 to Sunday morning, July 29 in order to assist in the recovery of the body," Troy police said in a statement last week.
-- Patrick Mikes
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.