DETROIT -

Five students were taken to the hospital Wednesday after being exposed by pepper spray inside a Detroit school.

The principal at Nsoroma Institute told Local 4 a student had the pepper spray on a ring of keys. The spray went off when the student fell and the container hit the ground.

EMS was called to treat the students, who complained of sore throats and coughs, before they were taken to St. John Hospital.

The school will be closed Thursday as a precaution.

Images: Students exposed to pepper spray at school