DETROIT - Two Oakland County Sheriff's deputies are facing misdemeanor animal cruelty charges for allegedly neglecting three horses in their care.
Lapeer Country Prosecutor Byron Konschuh said James Willyard and his wife, Georgia, were arraigned Friday.
Three horses were removed from their land off 5 Lakes Road in Lapeer after an investigation that began at the end of January.
They're due back in court on March 20.
On Monday, the Oakland Sheriff's Office released the following statement:
"We obviously find these allegations very disturbing. We have no tolerance for any animal cruelty. The deputies in question have been relieved of their police powers pending the outcome of the case."
Read more Local News headlines:
- Trial begins for W. Bloomfield grandma charged with murder
- Authorities: Panhandler shot dead in Pontiac
- Suspected car thief shot by Southfield police
- Community to celebrate 50th anniversary of Shrine Chapel
- Alcohol suspected in fatal Rochester Hills crash
- Pontiac woman beaten by 2 men in her home
- Crews find gas main rupture near Royal Oak house explosion
- Consumers Energy works to calm fears about natural gas
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.