Former Detroit City Council president Charles Pugh will not face charges for allegations of an inappropriate relationship between him and an 18-year-old boy.
Madison Heights police had turned the case over to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office which has decided not to seek charges against Pugh, citing insufficient evidence to prosecute.
Pugh abruptly stopped showing up to City Council meetings or making any public appearances in June, citing medical reasons. In his absence, Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr stripped him of his duties and salary.
Pugh resigned through a written statement in September.
Police said they were asked to investigate Pugh's conduct with a boy he knew from Detroit Public Schools' Douglass Academy.
The alleged inappropriate behavior happened between May 29-31 while Pugh was a mentor at the school.
The teen claims Pugh took him to K&G Clothing superstore in Madison Heights. While there, Pugh bought the teen a shirt, a pair of pants and a bowtie.
Next, Pugh allegedly bought the teen a cell phone at a Metro PCS store.
The district had already been investigating a complaint from the teen's mother that Pugh had improper contact with her son, who has since graduated.
Police said Pugh was given an opportunity to be interviewed as part of the investigation, but his attorney, Steve Fishman, said he had advised his client not to give an interview at this time -- but maybe in the future.
Police said they did not have any other complaints against Pugh.