Officials are warning people not to eat chestnuts that were picked up during a farmers market this week at Cobblestone Farms in Ann Arbor.
In a statement, Cobblestone Farm Association says people were harvesting chestnuts from the ground on Tuesday, but they turned out to be horse chestnuts, which can be toxic to humans, instead of edible sweet chestnuts.
Anyone who has them should throw them away.
Full statement on the chestnuts:
Dear Patrons of the Cobblestone Farm Market,
We wish to extend our most sincere apologies regarding the false information about the chestnuts that grow on the grounds of Cobblestone Farm. The information that we received regarding the trees was that the nuts were edible, but indeed they are not. They are called horse chestnuts and are quite toxic. Though the information on the internet indicates that ingesting these nuts is dangerous, the taste is so bitter that it is very difficult to swallow any. And the ill effects occur when swallowed. But to be safe, if you think you have eaten any, call your doctor.
If you took some home from the market or have picked some from the grounds, please throw them away! And please contact others who may not have received this information yet.
If you would like to contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The market is located at 2781 Packard Road.