A man driving past a burning home is being hailed a hero for saving the lives of two children.
Two children were sleeping in the front room of the home on Dwyer Street on Detroit's east side Wednesday night around 11 p.m.
Their mom was in the back of the house with two children ages 1 and 2. Their grandmother was upstairs when the house turned from tranquil to tragic within seconds.
Terrance Norris is a neighbor who told us, "All I heard was help help. I smelled smoke and ran outside with no shoes on."
The front of the home on Dwyer Street was quickly engulfed by flames. The mother was able to get the youngest children out through a back window before running to the front of the home - but the front door was locked. "I grabbed a brick smashed open the door. Fire shot out. I ran in there," said Norris. He was able to rescue one child. A passerby stopped and was able to save the life of another child.
The younger children both suffered serious burns while the older children had smoke inhalation. All were taken to Detroit Children's Hospital.
The grandmother broke her leg after jumping from a second floor window.
Investigators are looking at an overloaded front room electrical socket where the fire started as a cause. That's where the Christmas trees, TV, stereo and space heater were plugged.
"I don’t feel like no hero," Norris said, "If it was my kids I would want somebody to do the same."