Fire chief: No gas leak at Redford Union High School

Students were evacuated Monday when the smell of gas was detected

Published On: Dec 24 2013 11:12:00 AM EST   Updated On: Oct 14 2013 02:42:29 PM EDT
REDFORD, Mich. -

Redford Township fire officials say it wasn't a gas leak Monday morning that prompted the evacuation of Redford Union High School.

In a statement, Fire Chief Thomas Graham said a local contractor purged gas lines while in the process of completing repairs on the schools boilers -- which resulted in the odor being smelled around the school.

Students were evacuated as a precaution around 11 a.m.

School official eventually dismissed classes for the day so the school could be aired out. 

The school is located at 17711 Kinloch, which is near Six Mile and Beech Daly roads.

IMAGES: Redford Union High School evacuated

Published On: Oct 14 2013 11:49:08 AM EDT

Redford Union High School was evacuated Monday just before noon because of a gas smell.

1 / 4