DETROIT - Two sisters were rescued from an east side Detroit house fire Wednesday morning, but the older of the siblings was later hospitalized in critical condition.
The fire broke out in the kitchen of the home on Westphalia Street near East McNichols Road and Gratiot Avenue.
The mother of the family had reportedly put a baby bottle on the stove to warm but fell asleep and the fire began. Two sisters, 19 years old and 9 years old, were in an upstairs bedroom and were trapped by the flames.
The 9-year-old girl was described as disabled. An unidentified neighbor said she was awakened by the arrival of firefighters.
"They are good people. I was in my sleep when I heard fire trucks," the neighbor said.
Firefighters rescued the sisters from the upstairs room. Family members said the older sister had covered her younger sister to protect her from the flames. As a result, the older sister suffered a heart attack and severe burns.
The names of the sisters were not released.
The 19-year-old woman was listed in critical condition on Wednesday afternoon.
Her younger sister was being treated for smoke inhalation and was expected to recover.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.