"It's like we lost Matthew last week. That's what it feels like."
That's what Doreen Landry is going through as she watches the process of sentencing her son's killer begin again.
She thought she was finished with the courts three years ago when Ihab Maslamani and Robert Taylor received what she felt they deserved --mandatory life with no chance of parole.
Maslamani was 17, Taylor was 16, when they shot Landry's then 21-year-old son, Matthew, execution style in a burned out Detroit house.
Jurors struggled with the verdict because they were "kids."
In the summer of 2012, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled depriving a juvenile of a chance at parole is unconstitutional, opening the door to re-sentencing in hundreds of cases.
Justices determined youthful offenders do not have fully developed brains and may be incapable of impulse control.
Maslamani has a long criminal history.
He was Lebanese born and was bumped from troubled homes to foster care after arriving in the U.S.
His attorney will tell Macomb Co. Judge Diane Druzinski he deserves at least a chance of getting out.
"As Mr. Maslamani matures, the parole board will be able to determine if he's a threat to society. If he is, he stays in prison, if not, he could be released," attorney Valarie Newman.
Maslamani was on a violent three-day crime spree in 2009, robbing a Harrison Township bank, attempting a carjacking and then abducting Matt Landry outside an Eastpointe Quiznos shop. Landry's body was found several days later in Detroit.
During his trial, Maslamani spit on the floor, frequently interrupted, and showed contempt for the process.
Doreen Landry said she understands why some juvenile cases deserve review, but not this one.
Still, she has confidence in the system.
"I believe the judge will reach the right decision, but it just brings all the ugliness back," she said.
An evidentiary hearing for Maslamani is Feb. 19-20 and for Taylor's is Feb. 21.
Read previous stories on this case: