Toddler burned by charcoal on beach

Child walks onto hot coals covered by sand

Headline Goes Here

WATERFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A 23-month-old girl is hospitalized with burns after walking onto hot coals covered by sand at a local beach.

Miah Jennings was with her mother Friday afternoon at the Pontiac Lake Recreation area in Waterford Township. The toddler was walking on the beach when her foot touched hot charcoal just beneath the surface. Liz Wendt heard her daughter fall down.

"I head her crying and when I looked behind me and she had fallen and I said Miah get up and she couldn't get up so when I went and lifted her up, underneath her in the sand was a whole bunch of hot coals that somebody had left there," Wendt said.

Miah suffered third degree burns on her feet, legs and back and was getting treatment at Children's Hospital.

Park officials said they empty charcoal from the park grills every day.  They believe the coals Miah stepped on came from someone's personal grill.

Her mother is upset and worried about other children.

"I just don't want anyone else's child to have to go through this. I was hysterical all day yesterday and still when I think about I just want to take her pain away. I just want to trade places with her," Wendt said.

Miah slept much of Sunday and spent some time trying to walk.

Her mother hopes Miah will be able to go home within the next few days to continue her recovery.

Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.