DETROIT - Troy police say a woman has fallen victim to a scam that lead her to wire tens of thousands of dollars to strangers.
Police said management at a Kroger store on East Long Lake called them Monday to report a women trying to wire money via Western Union. The store management said they suspected the woman was being scammed.
Police said the woman told them that since January 2012 she had wired $45,000 to $60,000 to various people who had promised her millions of dollars in winnings if she paid legal and processing fees up front.
Police said they advised the woman that the process was a common scam.
More scam warnings:
- Seniors targeted in scams this time of year
- Southfield police have scam warnings for you
- Secret shopper scam remains problem
- Phishing scam circulating Michigan
- If you lose a pet, beware of scammers
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.