ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The University of Michigan has issued a crime alert after a student has reported waking up to two strange men in her off-campus house.
Ann Arbor police said the student reported the incident just before 4 a.m. Monday at her home in the 700 block of Division Street, between Packard and Hills streets.
Police said the two men might have entered through a first-floor window but took off after taking a wallet.
The student wasn't hurt.
The only description of the men released by police was that they were tall, average build and well groomed. One was wearing a black and white plaid shirt with jeans and the other had on a darker colored shirt with jeans.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the University of Michigan Department of Public Safety at 734-763-1131 or the Ann Arbor Police Department at 734-794-6939.
Ways to stay safe:
- Look assertive and be aware of your surroundings.
- Be aware that your risk increases in secluded and isolated areas.
- Walk with a trusted friend or co-worker when possible.
- Trust your intuition -- if a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative
- Have your keys in hand before you reach your vehicle or residence.
- If you feel threatened on campus, look for a blue light emergency phone or call 911 from any phone (no coins needed for 911).
- Keep rooms locked at all times.
- Confidential Tip Line 1-800-863-1355.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.