The Wayne County Sheriff's Office is holding free physical abilities tests on Aug. 16 to those who are interested in working as officers in county jails.
The tests will be administered at Cass Tech High School, 2501 Second Ave., Detroit, from 9 a.m. to noon.
The tests normally cost $50.
- Carrying a 40-pound weight for 100 feet
- Climbing up and down a four-step staircase 15 times
- Running about 330 feet around six cones
- Drag a 165-pound dummy for 45 feet
- Must be 18 years old
- Must have valid driver's license
- Provide signed note from doctor approving participation
Those who pass the physical test will have the chance to take the required written tests and submit a job application.
The county says it has more than 75 vacant officer positions in the jails.
New hires are paid a salary of $28,284, a $1,200 annual retention bonus, health care and other benefits.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.