4 things to watch for -- Tuesday, October 1st
Evrod Cassimy: Hey everyone! What a weekend! I started the weekend out by attending Kanye West’s Sunday Service Friday afternoon. It was an absolutely incredible worship experience featuring a gospel choir and pastor from Los Angeles. Kanye and Kim and their kids made a brief appearance as well.
- REVIEW: Kanye West's 'Sunday Service' at Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre in Detroit
- Kanye West's 'Sunday Service' tour comes to Detroit
This weekend it actually started to feel like fall. I spent the rest of the weekend running around all over Detroit with my family. One of the stops included Monarch Club with my wife Saturday night. It’s an open restaurant at the top of the Element Hotel at John R and Woodward in Downtown Detroit. While we were on the Penthouse floor, we noticed how chilly it had gotten over the weekend. Chilly temperatures means cider mills, trees changing colors, Thanksgiving and eventually Christmas. I’m so excited. P.S. If you haven’t been to Monarch Club, you gotta check it out!
To end the weekend, I spent it with my wife and sons at a friend's birthday party. It was a nice way to relax before the hustle and bustle of work and school starting on Monday.
Tuesday begins the start of one of my favorite months….Pizza Month! And boy is this year’s pizza month going to be fun! We have a great pizza place dropping off food for us to eat live on the show in the morning. We certainly hope you will join us. We’re on from 4:30-7am and you know what they say… “Miss A Day, Miss A Lot!”
Here's what's coming up on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Warmest Day of the Week
Brandon Roux: Tuesday will be the warmest day of the week as we wake up to temps in the mid 60s to low 70s under partly cloudy skies. Look for highs to hit the mid to upper 80s tomorrow and the heat index will be in the low 90s with a mix of sun and clouds as gusty winds pick up SW 5-15 mph gusting to 20-25 mph.
Take it easy Tuesday, but know this will be the end of our Summer stretch this week as showers arrive late Tuesday and early Wednesday with a cold front that will change things dramatically. Right now, there is no worry for severe weather late Tuesday and early Wednesday, but we'll keep you posted.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Orange Barrel Alert
Beginning at 9 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, crews will close both directions of Big Beaver Road under I-75 to set bridge beams on the northbound side of the freeway. Kim DeGiulio will also help us get around the orange barrels.
- MORE: Rebuilding of northbound I-75 ramps to Big Beaver Road begins
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- October is Here!
October 1st already?! Can you believe it? We want to know what your favorite thing is about October in Michigan. We'll be talking about it all morning long. Look for our Facebook post Tuesday morning, comment, and we could share it on the air.
6:40 a.m. -- Tasty Tuesday: Pizza Month
Pizza Month kicks off on October 1st, and we'll be featuring great local spots for Tasty Tuesday all month long. Tuesday is one of Jason Carr's favorite places. See where one man is keeping his mom's stuffed pizza recipe alive.
- Wyandotte nonprofit organization uses grocery bags to help homeless
- Teacher creates hearing aids on dolls to better represent deaf students
- Kanye West hosts surprise event at Fox Theatre in Detroit
- Will Detroit have marijuana bars? Local attorney believes so
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
National Days: October 1st
- National Black Dog Day
- National Hair Day
- Fire Pup Day
- National Homemade Cookies Day
- National Eat Fruit At Work Day
History Highlights: October 1st
- In 1890, Congress passed the McKinley Tariff Act, which raised tariffs to a record level.
- In 1957, the motto “In God We Trust” began appearing on U.S. paper currency.
- In 1971, Walt Disney World opened near Orlando, Florida.
- In 1982, Sony began selling the first commercial compact disc player, the CDP-101, in Japan.
- In 1994, National Hockey League team owners began a 103-day lockout of their players.
Celebrity Birthdays: October 1st
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress-singer Julie Andrews is 84.
- Actress Stella Stevens is 81.
- Actor Randy Quaid is 69.
- Actor Zach Galifianakis (“The Hangover”) is 50.
- Comedian Beck Bennett (“Saturday Night Live”) is 35.
- Actress Priah Ferguson (“Stranger Things”) is 13.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.