ClickOnDetroit Morning Briefing -- Oct. 2, 2019
Here are this morning's top stories
Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw said he believes the program can save lives, citing the 247 people who were killed by drug-impaired traffic crashes last year. However, attorney Neil Rockind is challenging the legal privacy aspect of such tests.
"It really tests for things that are prescribed, so it really allows the police to do more than just act on reasonable suspicion or probable cause," Rockind said. "The police can act on guesswork."
Vape shops are expected to sell off or destroy all flavored e-cigarette products by Wednesday to comply with the new law. Retailers have been against the new rule, stating the emergency ruling goes against the state's normal lawmaking process. They have been seeking a temporary restraining order on the ban. For now, judges on the federal and state level have declined to intervene in the state's decision to ban flavored e-cigarettes. Here's what to know about the ban.
If you didn't know, count day is an important day for public schools in the state because it is designated to tally the number of students attending schools. This is critical because it accounts for 90 percent of state funding. The other 10 percent comes from a count day in February.
The heaviest rain overnight was near and north of I-69, where one to three inches of rain fell. Accordingly, a Flash Flood Watch remains in effect for that area through this afternoon. Although the rain will gradually slide southward this morning, it will take a while for some of the flood waters to recede. Farther south in the heart of our metropolitan area, showers and scattered thunderstorms will increase through the day. I do not expect anywhere near the amounts of rain that fell farther north.
Always find the latest local and national weather news at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
More local headlines
- UAW-GM strike: VP says counterproposal offered after GM proposal doesn't settle 'important issues'
- Video shows Detroit fire truck crash into pole at gas station
- 4 men ransack hundreds of vehicles, steal 11 cars in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb counties, police say
- Warren police: Man murdered woman because she wouldn't have sex with him
- Man killed in shooting on Birwood Avenue on Detroit' west side
- Wayne-Westland superintendent who was under investigation resigns, drops lawsuit
For more Local News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local.
News from across Michigan
- Whitmer cuts Pure Michigan funding completely with line-item veto
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib dodges questions on ethics complaint, campaign T-shirts
- 5 Forever 21 stores in Michigan set to close after company files for bankruptcy
For more Michigan News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local/michigan.
National and international headlines
- Report shows National Guard has highest suicide rate among military components
- California woman thanks Metro Detroit man who fought off man who brutally attacked her
- UPS gets government approval to become a drone airline
- 162 heat records could be broken across US this week
For more National News headlines, head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/national.
More Local News pages:
- Detroit News
- Wayne County News
- Oakland County News
- Metro Detroit Jobs section -- find a job, or post a job
- Missing in Michigan -- missing person reports
- Michigan Roads -- coverage of the state's crumbling roads
- Michigan Marijuana -- coverage of marijuana news and laws in Michigan
Local 4 News show pages:
- Local 4 News Today -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
- Local 4 News at 6 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/6p
- Local 4 News at 11 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/11p
For more head to ClickOnDetroit.com/seen-on-4.
Submit a news tip
- Tell us what's happening in your community -- submit a news tip to Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit right here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.