Morning Show Insider: Jason Carr Gets Stitched
From the desk of Jason Carr: 30 years ago I could not have conceived of a curated box arriving on my doorstep that contained clothes picked out for me by a stranger whom I'd never met. But this being the future, that's exactly what happened to me this week. I almost forgot I had signed up for something called StitchFix on a whim, telling the online clothier my style preferences and measurements, as well as labels and fits already in my wardrobe.
While opening the box I had my usual cynical feeling that there was no way this was going to turn out well. I don't typically buy clothes online for one simple reason: I hate return mail. I would rather eat the misspent money than have to package up an ill-fitting coat and schlep it to the post office or UPS. No thanks.
Well, let me tell you something amazing happened. Whoever my personal shopper was turned out to be clairvoyant, a magician, a miracle worker. The box contained shoes, jeans, a t-shirt, a button-down shirt and a zippered mock turtleneck. And when I tell you everything fit perfectly and was comfortable, I mean PERFECT and COMFORTABLE.
I may never go to the mall again.
Now, this is the second such service I've signed up for recently. The other being a box of imperfect produce that shows up every week. That has been decidedly mixed vegetables, pun intended.
But clothes picked out for you by someone other than your wife or mother? Sign me up!
It was also Jason Carr's 49th birthday on Thursday. Check out the pizza cake made for him by PastryLuv Bake Shop in Dearborn (contact Shonte at 248-469-8192 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in ordering from Pastry Luv)
Here's what's coming up on Friday, October 4, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- 🧥 Friday Weather & Beyond
Brandon Roux: It will be a cooler, and mostly cloudy night ahead as we wake up to morning lows Friday in the 40s to low 50s. We will get a little bit of sunshine filtered through a stubborn cloud deck making it only partly sunny through the afternoon with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s at best. Yes, this is the coolest air of the season so far, and it will hang on for a few days. Friday is a dry day, but you'll need the sweatshirts and jackets as you head out Friday evening for High School Football, or whatever plans you have. The winds will be a bit pesky too N 5-15 mph gusting 15-20 mph at times Friday.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- 🚧 Weekend Construction
The weekend is almost here, but there's no rest for the construction crews. They'll be busy fixing roads across Metro Detroit. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:10 a.m. -- 🏃♀️ Fitness Friday
Time to lace up those running shoes! With the Detroit Free Press Marathon coming up on October 20th, Rhonda is being shown the proper form when running.
6:40 a.m. -- 🎭 Your Neighborhood
Evrod Cassimy takes up inside a local non-profit that's bringing world class theater productions to the city of Detroit. They're connecting students with amazing acts and making it affordable for everyone.
- 4th Michigan resident dies from mosquito-borne EEE
- Metro Detroit law enforcement works to enforce state's ban on flavored e-cigarettes
- Distracted, moody, forgetful? Here's what might be wrong -- and how to fix it
- DNR: Consumption guidelines not needed for deer from Proud Lake Recreation Area in Oakland County
🎙️ Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: Which 'The Voice' judge turned 50 on Thursday?
- Answer: Gwen Stefani
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
📅National Days: October 4th
- National Taco Day
- National Golf Lover's Day
- National Vodka Day
- National Manufacturing Day
- National Body Language Day
📜 History Highlights: October 4th
- In 1957, Jimmy Hoffa was elected president of the Teamsters Union.
- In 1959, the Soviet Union launched Luna 3, a space probe which transmitted images of the far side of the moon.
- In 1970, rock singer Janis Joplin, 27, was found dead in her Hollywood hotel room.
- In 1989, Triple Crown-winning racehorse Secretariat, suffering a hoof ailment, was humanely destroyed at age 19.
- In 1990, for the first time in nearly six decades, German lawmakers met in the Reichstag for the first meeting of reunified Germany's parliament.
- In 1991, 26 nations, including the United States, signed the Madrid Protocol, which imposed a 50-year ban on oil exploration and mining in Antarctica.
- In 2004, the SpaceShipOne rocket plane broke through Earth's atmosphere to the edge of space for the second time in five days, capturing the $10 million Ansari X prize aimed at opening the final frontier to tourists.
🎈 Celebrity Birthdays: October 4th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Susan Sarandon is 73.
- Actor Alan Rosenberg ("Cybill," "L.A. Law") is 69.
- Actress Kyra Schon ("Night of the Living Dead") is 62.
- Rap producer Russell Simmons is 62.
- Actress Wendy Makkena ("Sister Act" films) is 61.
- Actor David W. Harper ("The Waltons") is 58.
- Singer Jon Secada is 58.
- Actress Alicia Silverstone is 43.
- Singer-guitarist Marc Roberge of O.A.R. is 41.
- Actress Melissa Benoist ("Supergirl," "Glee") is 31.
- Actress Dakota Johnson ("Fifty Shades Of Grey") is 30.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.