36ºF

If you are disabled and need help with the public file, call (313) 222-0566

Student newspapers at Michigan, Ohio State to create special edition rivalry section

Michigan Daily, Lantern launch new partnership

Quarterback Shea Patterson throws a pass against Ohio State at Ohio Stadium on Nov. 24, 2018, in Columbus, Ohio. (Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The student newspapers at the University of Michigan and Ohio State University are partnering to create a special edition rivalry section ahead of this year’s football matchup.

The Michigan Daily and The Lantern will release the new section Nov. 26 -- four days between the Wolverines and Buckeyes meet at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.

A print section will be available in Ann Arbor and Columbus that includes stories written by members of both student newspapers.

“This is unprecedented in the history of this rivalry,” Lantern adviser Spencer Hunt said. “This is first time the student news organizations of Ohio State and Michigan have cooperated to cover The Game, and both schools are committed to providing outstanding journalism.”

Both newspapers will accept donations to their papers starting Nov. 17. The school receiving the most donations by kickoff will be announced as the winner.

“We are striving toward the future of journalism at both universities,” Hunt said. “Even though we’re rivals, we care about the honest pursuit of the First Amendment and are dedicated to providing opportunities for our students to grow as young journalists.”

About the Author: