12th annual KDB Melanoma Walk coming Sunday to Kensington Metropark
SOUTH LYON, Mich. – The 12th annual KDB Melanoma Walk is Sunday at Kensington Metropark in South Lyon.
The 5K run and walk is to raise awareness and funds for cancer research.
Amanda Cavanaugh, 39, has stage four melanoma. Last year, her support group raised more than $20,000 for the walk.
"We're doing this walk for people who aren't as lucky, who maybe don't have access to the doctor, or who maybe need more treatments," she said.
Hear more from Cavanaugh in the video above.
According to the American Cancer Society, signs of melanoma cancer include:
- New spots on the skin or spots that change size, shape, or color
- A sore that doesn’t heal
- Spread of pigment from the border of a spot into surrounding skin
- Redness or a new swelling beyond the border of the mole
- Change in sensation, such as itchiness, tenderness, or pain
- Change in the surface of a mole
The walk is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information, click here.
Watch the video above to hear from Cavanaugh, and donate here.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.