Quality index: Domestic car models trump imports
DETROIT – As American automakers comes roaring back from tough financial times, they are also starting to pass foreign competitors when it comes to quality. That's according to the closely-watched Total Quality Index from Strategic Vision.
The Index looks at how different vehicles, brands and manufacturers perform based on 155 different aspects of quality and customer perception.
Unlike more traditional quality studies that might focus only on things gone wrong, the index examines how satisfying individual vehicles are to own, factors often described as things gone right.
For the first time in more than a decade, the Index includes more domestic winners, than foreign cars.
Motown manufacturers led or at least tied for the lead in 12 of 21 categories.
Here are the winners according to the Total Quality Index:
- Small Car: Dodge Dar
- Small Multi-Function: Kia Soul
- Mid-Size Car: (tie) Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Volt
- Mid-Size Multi-Function: Honda Accord Crosstour
- Large Car: Volkswagen CC
- Near-Luxury Car: (tie) Hyundai Genesis, Audi A4
- Luxury Car: Lexus LS
- Specialty Coupe: Mini Cooper Hardtop
- Premium Coupe: Chevrolet Corvette
- Convertibles: Chrysler 200
- Premium Convertible/ Roadster: (tie) Chevrolet Corvette Convertible, Porsche Boxster
- Minivan: Chrysler Town & Country
- Entry Utility: (tie) Volkswagen Tiguan, Toyota FJ Cruiser
- Mid-Size Crossover Utility: Chevrolet Traverse
- Mid-Size Traditional Utility: Dodge Durango
- Large Utility: GMC Yukon
- Near-Luxury Utility: Buick Enclave
- Luxury Utility: Porsche Cayenne
- Standard Pickup: Toyota Tacoma
- Full-Size Pickup: Chevrolet Avalanche
- Heavy-Duty Pickup: Ford F-250/350
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.