Lansal, Inc. is voluntarily recalling 14,860 pounds of hummus and dip products because of possible Listeria contamination.
According to the Food and Drug Administration, Listeria" can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems." A listeria infection can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Healthy adults may suffer short-term symptoms including fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Consumers who have purchased recalled hummus products are urged not to eat it and to dispose of it or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.
In addition to products for Lansal, which does business as "Hot Mama's Foods," products manufactured at the same warehouse are also being recalled. These include:
- Giant Eagle Chipotle Hummus 8oz. (UPC: 30034065881)
- Giant Eagle Garlic Hummus 8oz. (UPC: 30034064747)
- Trader Joe's Edamame Hummus 8oz. (UPC: 988582)
- Trader Joe's 5 Layered Dip Small 11.5oz. (UPC: 435451)
- Trader Joe's 5 Layered Dip Large 24oz. (UPC: 274043)
- Tryst Yellow Lentil Hummus with Sunflower Seeds & Apricots 10oz (UPC: 896863001410)
- Target Archer Farms Roasted Garlic with Roasted Garlic Tapenade 17 oz. (UPC: 85239233498)
- Target Archer Farms Roasted Red Pepper with Roasted Red Pepper Topping 17 oz. (UPC: 85239233481)
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 10oz (UPC: 85239233405)
- Target Archer Farms Traditional Hummus 2lb. This is a non-retail item used in two SuperTarget store items, Archer Farms Mediterranean Veggie Hummus Wrap and Archer Farms Hummus Veggie Snacker. (UPC: 896863001823)
More information about this recall can be found on the FDA website.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.