Detroit – Host the perfect Easter Sunday (or any day) brunch with delicious Potato Crusted Quiche that is simple to prepare, but impressive to serve. Enjoy it along with roasted asparagus, spring's favorite vegetable and Lime Bars with Pistachio Crust for a perfectly sweet ending!
Potato Crusted Quiche
4 cups shredded potatoes (1 bag simply shredded potatoes)
1 tsp. McCormick dried minced onion
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. McCormick garlic powder
1 cup Meijer whole grain white flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups shredded Meijer 2% milk Colby jack cheese
1 1/2 cups cooked lean diced ham
1 1/2 cups cooked broccoli florets (do not overcook)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup 2% Milk (or half and half)
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash McCormick ground nutmeg
Dash McCormick paprika
1. Pre-heat oven to 400?F. Spray a 10-inch deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine crust ingredients and press into pie plate. Bake in 400?F oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350?F.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk salt and nutmeg in a small mixing bowl.
4. Place 1 cup shredded cheese in crust. Top with ham and broccoli.
5. Pour milk mixture into crust and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
7. Garnish with grapefruit or orange slices if desired.
Recipe Source: The Fresh Chef, Amanda Leatherman, Grand Rapids Michigan
Serve with: Sautéed asparagus (toss asparagus spears with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and place on baking sheet. Season lightly with salt, McCormick garlic powder and McCormick lemon pepper; sauté in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes, until fork tender)
Lime Bars with Pistachio Crust
Makes: 16 Bars
4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) Promise® margarine stick, melted
2/3 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup Meijer graham-cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. grated lime zest
2 Meijer Omega-3 egg yolks (save whites for later use)
4 oz. Meijer reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 can (14 ounces) Meijer sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. Meijer Cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray (or line with parchment paper).
2. Finely chop or grind pistachios (using a food processor).
3. Add pistachios to a medium size mixing bowl and combine well with graham-cracker crumbs, sugar, and zest. Blend in butter.
4. Press mixture into bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool crust, 30 minutes.
5. Prepare filling: In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks and cream cheese until smooth. Add condensed milk, mix well. Mix cornstarch with lime juice and add to filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour filling into cooled crust. Note: If desired, add a few drops of green food coloring to color filling.
6. Bake until set, about 15-20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack; then chill at least 1 hour before serving. Cut into 16 squares, garnish with mint sprigs if desired and enjoy.