Registered Dietitian and author of 'Grocery Makeover' Julie Feldman is here with tips to makeover your breakfast.
ZUCCHINI YOGURT PANCAKES
• ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
• ½ cup rolled oats*
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
• 2 Tbsp. almond milk
• ½ tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup shredded zucchini, packed
• Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat it with cooking spray or oil. You want to make sure that it's very hot before you start cooking your pancakes.
• Add all ingredients except for zucchini to a blender in the order listed and blend until oats are fully broken down and batter is smooth and frothy. Fold in shredded zucchini and allow batter to sit for a few minutes so that it thickens up.
• Pour batter straight from blender onto skillet until desired size of pancakes is reached and cook until the edges have set and bubbles begin to form on the tops of the pancakes, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is gone, making sure to coat your skillet again with oil between each batch.
Top with butter, syrup, berries, yogurt, cottage cheese, or your favourite toppings. Serve warm.
Snickerdoodle Protein Overnight Oats
Yields: 1 bowl
• ¼ c old-fashioned oats (gluten-free if necessary)
• ½ c plain nonfat Greek yogurt
• ¼ c nonfat milk
• 2 tsp Truvia (or other sweetener, to taste)
• ½ tsp butter extract
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 Add all of the ingredients in the order that they’re listed to a mason jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Stir to combine. Screw on the lid, and refrigerate the oats overnight or at least 8 hours.
Notes: The oats will keep for up to 4 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Any milk and yogurt will work. However, most yogurts don’t contain the same amount of protein and thick creaminess as Greek yogurt.
Vanilla extract may be substituted in place of the butter extract. However, the oats won’t have quite the same iconic cookie taste.
• 1/2 cupUnsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
• 1/4 cupAllWhites® Egg Whites
• 1/4 cupCottage Cheese
• 1/2 cupPlain Greek Yogurt
• To tasteCinnamon and/or Stevia
• Add all ingredients to a blender
• Blend until thick and creamy
• 1 1/2 cupsfresh strawberries, hulled and halved
• 1 cupice cubes
• 2 tsp.fresh basil or fresh mint, chopped
• 2/3 cupAllWhites® egg whites
Tip: If berries aren't quite sweet enough, add 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar to desired sweetness.