Tati's mom's recipe is a traditional Ethiopian cabbage dish known as Tikel Goman. This vegetarian-friendly dish is tasty, filling, and healthy all the while taking just 30 minutes to prepare.
Tati’s Mom’s Cabbage Recipe
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 4 carrots, sliced in half
• 1 large sweet white onion, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
• 1 small head cabbage, sliced
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 4 yukon potatoes, medium sliced lengthwise
• Heat large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and carrots about 30 seconds. Add oil and continue to saute 4 minutes.
• Season with salt, pepper, turmeric, and ground cumin and ginger if using; stir and let the seasonings toast until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
• Stir cabbage and garlic paste in; cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
• Stir potatoes into the cabbage mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer, stirring every 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.