Celebrating National Spaghetti Day
Our partners at Andiamo show us how to cook perfect spaghetti ahead of National Spaghetti Day this Wednesday. Have fun trying out the recipes below.
1 Pound Flour (70% Semolina Flour, 30% All Purpose Flour)
1 Cup Eggs
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1. Place flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the eggs and other ingredients into the well and mix smooth.
2. Knead the dough for five minutes until it takes on a satiny texture.
3. Run through a pasta machine to achieve desired thickeness.
4. Place through the cutter to produce the correct noodle.
5. Allow fresh pasta to air dry for 30 minutes or overnight.
6. Boil in large pot with salted water until al dente.
7. Serve with your favorite Andiamo sauce.
Note: You may flavor the pasta with vegetable purees and herbs if desired.
Remember you may have to adjust the flour ratio to absorb excess liquid.
Fresh Lemon Juice
Sun Dried Tomatoes
Spices and Seeds
Binders, Fresh Bread Crumbs
Freshly Grated Parmesan
Freshly Grated Asiago Cheese
Gorgonzola Cheese Crumbles
Sautéed Leeks, Julienne
Fresh Spinach, Chopped
Julienne of Carrots
Julienne of Zucchini
Roasted Red Peppers
Blanched Green Beans
Celery Root, Julienne, Blanched
Fresh or Roasted Tomatoes
Chiffonade of Savoy Cabbage, Blanched
Meat and Seafood Components
Assorted Cooked Seafood: Clams, Mussels, Shrimp, Lobster
Grilled Chicken Slices
Proscuitto Ham, Diced or Julienne
1 small peeled onion, diced
2 each garlic cloves, chopped
(Place above ingredients in bowl of food processor and blend until smooth paste)
1 cup Olive oil
1 recipe Grind from above
2.5 # Ground beef, large grind
2 Tbls. Flour
1 oz Red table wine
1 quart Cold water
20 oz Tomato paste
46 oz Diced tomatoes, imported
½ stick Butter
Seasonings: Salt, pepper, basil, thyme
1. Heat olive oil in heavy bottom large sauce pot.
2. Add the grind mixture and cook until golden.
3. Add the ground beef and cook thoroughly.
4. Slowly add the flour, be sure not to form lumps.
5. Add the red wine, allow to cook out for 2 minutes.
6. Add water and tomato paste, mix until smooth.
7. Add the diced tomatoes and butter.
8. Allow to come to the high simmer, then turn down to low simmer.
9. When butter is melted, cook no longer than twenty more minutes.
10. Season to taste with above seasonings, reserve for later use.