DETROIT – The Detroit Police Department said it had such an overwhelming response to its August gun buy back event that it's now redeeming vouchers for cash.
Police said 744 weapons were turned in.
Anyone who has a voucher from the event can go to Second Ebenezer Church, 14601 Dequindre, Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and on Dec. 21 at the Detroit Police Department's Central District, 7310 Woodward Avenue, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The following Gun Buy Back payment process will be adhered to:
1.Payment will only be made if you are able to present the original numbered receipt that was issued by the department. Copies will not be accepted.
2. Your receipt must coincide with the numbered duplicate receipt in the departments original receipt books.
3. Your receipt must be stamped and signed by an officer assigned to the check-in desks to verify that it has been approved for payment.
4. The approved amount for payment will be highlighted on your receipt copy by an officer assigned to the check-in desk.
5. Your approved, original receipt must be surrendered at the payment desk,at which time you will receive payment in the amount highlighted on your approved receipt.
6.You are requested to exit the building and parking area after receiving payment.
7. Any vouchers not redeemed by December 21, 2011, may be honored at the next Gun Buy Back event when announced by the Detroit Police Department.