School closed, road open following gas leak in Shelby Township
Evacuated residents have returned to their homes
SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. – School was closed for students at Shelby Junior High School Friday due to a gas leak. Police tell Local 4 the closure was just a precautionary measure.
--Police blocked off Van Dyke Road between 23 and 24 Mile Roads while crews worked to repair a gas leak
The leak also lead to the closure of Van Dyke Road in both directions between 23 and 24 Mile Roads. The road reopened to traffic shortly before 7:30 a.m. Nearby residents had been evacuated, but have since been allowed back into their homes.
Crews working in the area have been quoted as saying it is so bad they could hear the sound of gas hissing.
There is no immediate word on what may have led to the gas leak.
More school closings can be found HERE.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.